Government, Transport Operators Agree to Suspend Strike for Fresh Fuel Talks

Government, Transport Operators Agree to Suspend Strike for Fresh Fuel Talks

By Peace Muthoka

Nairobi, May 19, 2026 – A planned public transport strike has been suspended for one week after the government and transport sector stakeholders agreed to resume negotiations over the rising cost of fuel.

The decision followed a meeting held on Tuesday morning between government officials and representatives of the public transport sector, with both sides opting for dialogue to address growing concerns over soaring fuel prices.

In a statement, the Ministry of Interior and National Administration acknowledged the economic pressure facing Kenyans due to rising global fuel prices, which the government linked to the ongoing crisis in the Middle East.

The government said it remains committed to shielding citizens from the high cost of living through a series of interventions aimed at stabilizing fuel prices.

Among the measures already introduced is an eight percent reduction in Value Added Tax (VAT) on petroleum products last month. The government has also continued to use the Petroleum Development Levy to cushion consumers from sharp price increases.

However, with fuel costs remaining high despite the interventions, the government announced fresh measures on Monday night, including a reduction of diesel prices by KSh10 per litre to ease transport expenses.

In addition, kerosene prices were adjusted to reduce the price gap between the two products and curb diesel adulteration by unscrupulous fuel dealers.

Even so, transport operators maintained pressure for further relief, arguing that the cost of fuel continues to strain operations and increase the burden on commuters.

Following Tuesday’s talks, both parties agreed that more consultations were necessary, prompting transport stakeholders to suspend the strike for one week to allow room for further engagement.

Interior Cabinet Secretary Kipchumba Murkomen welcomed the move and thanked sector leaders for choosing dialogue, saying the decision reflected cooperation and patriotism.

“The Government remains committed to resolving the cost of fuel challenge and cushioning Kenyans from the high cost of living,” he said.

At the same time, transport stakeholders condemned incidents of violence and destruction witnessed during protests on Monday, distancing themselves from the unrest and urging peaceful engagement.

The meeting was also attended by Energy and Petroleum Cabinet Secretary Opiyo Wandayi and Nairobi Governor Johnson Sakaja as the government renewed calls for peaceful and lawful ways of airing grievances.

Previous Post
Next Post

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

error: Content is protected !!